Navigate Up
Sign In

National Archives - Facsimiles

AG • National Archives (Gozo Section) • 1989+ 
AG/01/01 1990 DECEMBER 05 – TRANSFER OF DOCUMENTS

This is letter from the Education Department authorizing the transfer of school records to the National Archives, Gozo section in conformity with parliamentary Act IV (1990). This and other letters are interesting for the growth of the Gozo archives.
 
CA • Civil Abattoir • 1891 – 1986 
CA/01/11, f.1 1940 APRIL 13 – ANIMALS SLAUGHTERED AT THE CIVIL ABATTOIR

The list of animals slaughtered at the Civil Abattoir, Gozo, on 13 and 15 April 1940, with the name of persons who brought in the animals, the species of butcher’s meat, and fees charged.
CC • Civic Council • 1959 – 1973 CC/01/01, f.1 
1961 JULY 4 – MINUTES OF THE FIRST MEETING OF THE GOZO CIVIC COUNCIL

The Gozo Civic Council was formally established as a statutory local Government on 14 April 1961. Elections followed on 4 June. The Council held its first formal meeting on 4 July 1961, when it elected Dr. Anton Tabone as its first President.
CG • Curia Gubernatorali (Courts of Law) • 1609+ 
CG/06/48, no 29, 10r 1811 JUNE 15 – BRAND ON THREE STOLEN MULES

On the night of Saturday, 15 June 1811, unknown persons stole three mules that Federico Francica of Sicily had probably acquired in Malta. The thieves did not know that the mules, that had originated in Turkey, had been branded. In an attempt to trace the stolen animals, Francica sent a copy of the brand mark – called in the document stigmatum animalium – to his friend Ferdinando Guerrera in Malta. This was later deposited at the Gozo Court. The brand mark consisted of a distinctive BN enclosed in a heart-shaped design. Two of the stolen mules, it transpired later, had been sold in Gozo.
CI • Charitable Institutions • 1859 – 1947 
GI/04/03, 1r 1798 OCTOBER 29 – DETENIES AT THE GOZO PRISON

The Department of Charitable Institutions was also responsible for prisons. This register contains a list of the detenies at the Gozo prison beginning 29 October 1798 – the day after the French were expelled from Gozo and the administration of Gozo passed in the hands of the Gozitans themselves.
CP • Circulars and Posters • 1814+ ​
CP/01/01 1828 OCTOBER 28 – LAW TO PROHIBIT EXPORTATION OF LIVE CATTLE

A historic poster preserved in this section issued under the signature of Frederick Hankey, Chief Secretary to the Government, informing the public of the necessity of a special permission for the exportation of live cattle.​​​​

​​​NAG-CR.png

CR • Cremona Collection • 1873 – 1942
CR/01/01

This fond was created through a donation of Maria Mifsud-Bonnici, wife of ex-Chief Justice Giuseppe Mifsud-Bonnici. It consists of 71 volumes.​

DF • Documentaries and Films • 1988+ 
DF/01 1988+

The major part of the deposits in this section consists of the Gozo programme Għawdex Illum televised on the national television station of Malta. The documentaries were acquired by the Ministry of Gozo and passed on to the archives. .
GB • Malta Government Savings Bank • 1853 – 1978 
GB/05/03 1905 MARCH 23 – WITHDRAWAL OF MONEY FOR CHURCH FUNDS

Canon Giuseppe Portelli, the priest in charge of the building of the Ta’ Pinu Sanctuary, withdraws the sum of sixty two pounds, sixteen shillings, and seven pence from the Government Savings Bank. This entry is from a register entitled Account Book of deceased depositors.
GL • Ġurdan Lighthouse • 1877 – 1981 
GL/03/14, 2r 1930 SEPTEMBER 12 – VISITORS TO ĠURDAN LIGHTHOUSE

This register shows the list of visitors to Ġurdan Lighthouse. A fee of four pence, 1c7, was paid by each visitor.
GM • Ġuljana Masini • 1554-1930 
GM/01/04 27 FEBRUARY 1554 – FIRST BAPTISM

The registration of the baptism of Giovanna, daughter of Nicola Manueli, administered at the Matrice Parish Church on 27 February 1554, the first registered baptism in the Ġuljana Masini, commenced by Notary Felice Attard (1802-1874). This is the first known baptism in Gozo after the tragic Siege of July 1551.
HI • Hospitals and other Institutions • 1841+ 
HI/06/01 1885 SEPTEMBER 11 – DRUGS FROM GOVERNMENT DISPENSARY

Registration of drugs sold at the public dispensary of the casals of Nadur and Qala.
IR • Inland Revenue • 1903+ 
IR/02/01 1951 JANUARY 01 – APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF ENTERTAINMENT

A application by Canon Bernard Portelli of Għarb to hold plays in the Catholic Action Centre.
LC • Local Councils • 1993+ 
LC/14/01 1994 JUNE 23 – ŻEBBUG LOCAL COUNCIL

This is a report of the second meeting of the Żebbug Local Council, including a discussion on the necessity of a better bus service to the village.
MG • Ministry for Gozo • 1987+ 
MG/01/07 1990 JULY 16 – PARLIAMENTARY QUESTIONS RELATED TO GOZO

This PQ is related to the plans and maps kept, at that time, by the Medical and Health Department. These plans were not easily accessible until their transfer to the National Archives, Gozo Section.
MH • Medical and Health Department • 1875 – 1970 
MH/01/13 1922 JUNE 16 – BUILDING OF GĦASRI PARISH

This is the plan of a new parish church annexed to the permission sought by Dun Ġużepp Buttigieg on behalf of the community of Għasri for the building of anew church Permission was granted on the plan drawn by Dun Ġużepp Diacono (1847-1924).
MP • Monte di Pietà • 1817 – 1979 
MP/03/08 1922 JUNE 16 – PAWN TICKETS

Francesco Grech of Giorgio pawned one gold ring with stone. The Monte advanced him the sum of eleven shillings (€1.28). He also pawned two gold earrings, three rings and one brooch with stones, four earrings, four earrings long-pendants, one brooch and five rings, partly defective, and got an advancement of three pounds (€7).
PA • Photographs and Albums • 1945+ 
PA/01/01, 036 GOZO CITADEL – AERIAL VIEW

The Citadel hill has been inhabited since prehistoric times. It is a World Heritage Site.
PD • Police Departments • 1889+ 
PD/01/01, 1r 1889 SEPTEMBER 23 ¬– GOZO POLICE OCCURRENCES BOOK

The Police kept a very important record of the day to day events in every police station on the island. These records were eventually noted down in one single register kept at the main Police Station in the Banca Giuratale. This is the first book of the series known as the books of Occurrences.
PM • Plans and Maps • 1860+
PM/01/01 1956 – PLAN OF GOZO CITADEL AND RABAT

This plan is from a set of survey sheets of Gozo..
PO • Passport Office • 1888+ 
PO/01/01, no [247]001 1988 MAY 19 – APPLICATION FOR A MALTA PASSPORT

This is the first application for a passport to be processed in Gozo. The applicant went to the office on the very first day of its opening. Previously, persons from Gozo had to apply at the Malta Office to get a passport and the process took weeks.
PW • Public Works • 1840+ 
PW/Misc. War Book/01, f. 136 1942 JANUARY 16 ¬– SHELTER IN XAGĦRA MAIN SQUARE

A plan of the shelter hewn in the area underlying the main square of Xagħra.
SG • Secretariat to the Government • 1803+ 
SG/01/06, 86-87 1819 MAY 24 – THE ESCAPE OF FIVE PRISONERS

Five prisoners escaped from the Gozo Prison and found refuge within the Matrice (Cathedral) Church – a place that enjoyed ecclesiastical immunity and hence the police could not enter to re-arrest them so as not to elude justice. Permission had to be requested from the Bishop for their eventual arrest. This is probably the last time that criminals made use of the immunità for the privilege was suppressed on 10 April 1828.
SN • Street Naming • 1987+ 
SN/01/02, no. 86a 1990 OCTOBER 23 – NEW STREETS WITHOUT NAME

This is a list of new streets in various localities of Gozo and the names that societies and individuals from those localities suggested for naming the same streets. Suggestions for naming new streets are now made to the Gozo Street Naming Committee through the local Councils.
SS • State Schools • 1845+ 
SS/01/01, 1r 1853 SEPTEMBER 19 – CIRCULARS OF THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT

This collection of circulars - formerly at the Nadur Primary School - issued by the Department of Education, the Ufficio delle Scuole di Primaria Educazione, is the earliest collection of such circulars in these islands. .
ST • Statistics • 1667+ 
ST/01/01, table 1 1667 JUNE – TRANSCRIPT OF A CENSUS OF GOZO

This is a transcript of the first known detailed census of Gozo, taken by Church authorities in the first half of 1667 and concluded in June of the same year. The original is at the AEG, the Episcopal Archives of Gozo. .
UG • Universitas Gaudisii • 1560 – 1819 
UG/01/02, 67r 1587 JULY 10 – THREE PALJIJIET FOR SANTA MARIJA

The Universitas Gaudisii in a meeting presided over by Fra Pietro Spina, the Governor of Gozo, decided to donate three further prizes for the already established horse-races on the feast of Santa Marija. The main aim in the increase of the prize, three paljijiet, one of velvet, one of damask, and a third of silk, was to induce more men to bring horses over to Gozo so as to make them available to the militia in times of necessities.
​​
​​ ZM • Miscellanea • 1575+ ​
ZM/01/001 1746 – DE SOLDANIS: HISTORY OF GOZO

This is a manuscript copy of the first history of Gozo by the doyen of the Gozitan historians GIAN PIET FRANCESCO AGIUS DE SOLDANIS. Entitled Il Gozo Antico-Moderno e Sacro-Profano, it is written according to the best historical criteria current at that time and is mostly based on archival sources. The original was donated by the author to the Capuchin’s Convent in Rabat, Gozo.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
 

Contact Information:

 Contact Name 
Triq Vajrinġa 
Victoria-Gozo 
VCT 1313​
View map
 Telephone
(+356) 2155-8833

 Email