Navigate Up
Sign In

Detailed

The deposits of the NAG are split into twenty-eight different FONDS. Each fond is divided into as many SECTIONS as is deemed necessary to reflect the various responsibilities or activities of the entity that produced the fond. It is possible that a particular single entity produced records related to various activities. In that case each activity is considered a separate section and numbered accordingly to avoid the splitting of sections into sub-sections. Every single ITEM in each section is given a consecutive number.

 
The entities in the alphabetical order of the cataloguing code with the period covered are the following:
​AG ​National Archives (Gozo Section)​ 1989+ ​​
​CA ​Civil Abattoir ​1891 - 1986
​CC ​Civic Council ​1959 – 1973
​CG ​Curia Gubernatorali (Courts of Law) ​1609+
​CI ​Charitable Institutions ​1859 – 1947
​CP ​Circulars and Posters ​1814+
​CR ​Cremona Collection ​​1873-1942
​DF ​Documentaries and Films ​1988+
​GB ​Malta Government Savings Bank ​1853 – 1978
​GL ​Gurdan Lighthouse ​1877 – 1981
​GM ​Ġuljana Masini ​1554 – 1930
​HI ​Hospitals and other Institutions ​1993+
​IR ​Inland Revenue ​1903+
​LC ​Local Councils ​1993+
​MG ​Ministry for Gozo ​1987+
​MH ​Medical and Health Department ​1875 – 1970
​MP ​Monte di Pietà ​1817 – 1979
​PA ​Photographs. Albums ​1945+
​PD ​Police Departments ​1889+
​PM ​Plans and maps ​1860+
​PO ​Passport Office ​1988+
​PW ​Public Works ​1840+
​SG ​Secretariat to the Government ​1803+
​SN ​Street naming ​1987+
​SS ​State Schools ​1845+
​ST ​Statistics ​1667+
​UG ​Universitas Gaudisii ​1560 – 1819
​ZM ​Miscellanea ​1575+
 
The code given to the entities are self-explanatory. The following is a short description of the contents of each entity.
 
AG • National Archives (Gozo Section) 1989+
This is an in-house compilation related to the National Archives, Gozo section, including correspondence and other miscellaneous documents.
 
CA • Civil Abattoir 1891 - 1986
These are the records of the Gozo Abattoir; including lists of slaughtered animals with owners and purchasers, fees for veterinaries, store ledgers, and miscellaneous documents.
 
CC • Civic Council 1959 – 1973
This is the deposit of documents of the defunct Gozo Civic Council. In 1960, the administration of Gozo was partly taken over by this Council. The Council was founded on 23 November 1958, and since 4 April 1960, it was given a measure of administrative responsibility. Ordinance XI of 14 April 1961 established the Council as a statutory local Government body having distinct legal personality. The deposits consist of minutes, some account books, cashbooks and miscellaneous registers.
 
CG • Curia Gubernatorali (Courts of Law) 1609+
The most consistent deposit, up to now, is made up of the records of the the Curia Gubernatorali Insulae Gaulos, the Governor’s Court of Gozo, now known as the Courts of Law.
 
A Courts of Law was probably established in Gozo with the Universitas, the administration of justice fell under its competence. There was a civil and a criminal court together with a court of appeal. Its functions were increased in 1803 and in 1840.
 
The records transferred to the archives start from 1609 and include a collection of all sorts of proceedings normally related to the Courts. These include: Registri Atti Civili as well as Registri Sentenze, court decisions with resumè of proceedings; Registri Mandati and Mandati, precautionary acts, including warrant of description, warrant of seizure, garnishee order, warrant of impediment of departure, warrant of prohibitory injunction, and "meditatio fugae" warrant; Citazioni and Citazioni e Depositi, proceedings instituted by libel, petition, writ of summons or applications; Processi, decrees in civil matters of voluntary jurisdiction; Depositi, records of deposits of cash, gold, silver and other objects and related claims; Subaste, demands for sale by auction and related documentation; Registri Bandi e Subaste, misellaneous public notices; Libelli, written pleadings containing the plaintiff’s statement of claim and documents produced in support.
 
CI • Charitable Institutions 1859 – 1947
The deposit of charitable institutions consists of letters, accounts of expenditure, and assistance to paupers given by Charitable Institutions in Gozo, between 1859 and 1947. The Gozo prison fell under this office.
 
CP • Circulars and Posters 1814+
This consists of a collection of historical manifestos, circulars, and posters; the earliest is one of 1814.
 
CR • Cremona Collection 1873 – 1942
This fond was created through a donation of Maria Mifsud-Bonnici, wife of ex-Chief Justice Giuseppe Mifsud-Bonnici. It consists of 71 volumes belonging to her grandfather and father.
 
DF • Documentaries and Films 1988+
This entity consists of a collection of documentaries on Gozo produced for local television from 1988 onwards. These were purchased by the Ministry of Gozo and donated to the Archives. 
 
GB • Malta Government Savings Bank 1853 – 1978
The former registers of the Savings Bank is made up of deposit ledgers, receipts and payments, journals from 1853 to the bank’s winding-up in 1978, and other bank documents.
 
GL • Ġurdan Lighthouse 1877 – 1981
Ta’ Ġurdan Lighthouse, one of the landmarks of Gozo, lies at latitude 36° 04’ 15’’ and longitude 14° 13’ 10’’. It is situated on a hill of the same name and lies 185 metres above sea level. It was built during the British rule and inaugurated in 1853. The collection from Ta’ Ġurdan Lighthouse, limits of Għasri, Gozo-Malta, consists of log-books and miscellaneous weather records from 1877 to 1981 as well as eye observation of pressure, temperature, cloud, weather, and visibility from 1943 to 1961.
 
GM • Ġuljana Masini   1554-1930
The Ġuljana Masini – consisting of 88 manuscript volumes of various sizes – enlists all the births, marriages, and deaths that took place in Gozo between 1554 and 1934. It also registers the births of Gozitans in Malta and, sometimes, even abroad. The sources for the information are the parish records. It was in 1554 that the Matrice or mother-church of Gozo started keeping such records. The Ġuljana was initiated by Notary Felice Attard (1802-1874) and continued by his son Pietro Attard (1836-1916), known as Tal-Ispettur. After his passing away, an unknown person or persons proceeded to keep the records. It was eventually acquired by Francesco Masini LL.D (1894-1962) from the heirs of the late Pietro Attard, the original compiler of the Ġuljana. Three additional values of the collection are: first, a considerable number of family trees that Notary Attard compiled to clients; secondly, many references to contracts, donations, and other issues related to land property owned by his clients; and references to such properties by their original toponym. For a full catalogue click here.
 
HI • Hospitals and other Institutions 1841+
This division holds the records of health institutions institutions in Gozo, including the Gozo hospitals and Government clinics in Zebbug, Nadur, Ghajnsielem, and Qala from 1841 onwards. They are basic for a study of the incidence of disease in Gozo.
 
IR • Inland Revenue 1903+
The Inland Revenue deposit contains registers related to Death returns and succession dues from 1903 onwards, circulars, entertainment tax, transfer of vehicles and others.
 
LC • Local Councils 1993+
This is a progressively growing collection of the minutes of the fourteen Local Council of the island of Gozo from their foundation in 1993 to date.
 
MG • Ministry for Gozo 1987+
The Ministry of Gozo began to function on 14 May 1987. The first deposits from the Ministry of Gozo consist of collections of parliamentary questions related to Gozo and press releases. This entity is destined to grow.
 
MH • Medical and Health Department 1875 – 1970
The Medical and Health department deposits include an important collection of building plans and permits issued in Gozo from around 1875 to 1970. It must be noted that the department ceased taking cognition of these affairs after that date, when they become the responsibility of the PAPB, the Planning Area Permits Board up to November 1992, when they became the responsibility of the MEPA, the Malta Environment and Planning Authority.
 
MP • Monte di Pietà 1817 – 1979
The Monte di Pietà was founded in Gozo in 1805. The records, starting in 1817, consist of general accounts, pawns and redeemed pledges, pawn tickets, and letter books.
 
PA • Photographs. Albums 1945+
This is a valuable collection of old and recent photos of Gozo, including official and special occasions. There are also a number of miscellaneous albums.
 
PD • Police Departments 1889+
This is a very important collection of records originating from the police department in Gozo. There is almost a complete collection of daily occurrences on the island from 1889 to 1960, acts of births and deaths, detail of duties books, detail of duties books of the coastal police.
 
PM • Plans and maps 1860+
This is a collection of maps and large plans of official buildings in Gozo from 1860 onwards. It is a very small collection as the majority was not traceable.
 
PO • Passport Office 1988+
This fond contains the passport applications processed in Gozo since the opening of the Passport Office in Gozo in May 1988.
 
PW • Public Works 1840+
This is a very incomplete collection of records from the department. It consists of the expense ledgers, correspondence, and record books of the Public Works Department in Gozo. The earliest record date to 1840, but the majority was lost due to inadequate storage.
 
SG • Secretariat to the Government 1803+
The Secretariat to the Government for Gozo, known by various names, is the continuation of the old Universitas. With the British reforms in administration introduced in 1819, the management of Gozo public affairs passed from the Universitas into the hands of a civil official known since then by a variety of names: Chief Civil Officer, Lieutenant Governor, Commissioner, and Secretary for Gozo. The records from this office include: letters, both in-letters and copies of out-letters, official circulars of a varied nature from the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor and the Chief Secretary; reference books which like the former Bastardelle contain notes and minutes of day to day affairs; cashbooks, partly, a continuation of the former Conti Originali; payment schedules of Gozitan Government employees; and accounts of expenditure and correspondence of various Government entities.
 
SN • Street naming 1987+
This is a collection of records of the Gozo Street Naming Committee from the 1970s onwards; including minutes and correspondence.
 
SS • State Schools 1845+
This is another important section with records beginning in 1845 retrieved from state schools of Gozo, both primary and secondary. The records include log-books and admission and attendance registers.
 
ST • Statistics 1667+
This is made up of an incomplete collection of censuses (including copies) and blue books from 1667 onwards.
 
UG • Universitas Gaudisii 1560 – 1819
The Universitas Gaudisii was founded around 1350 as a corporation defending local interests. The multiform activities of the Universitas of Gozo from the fourteenth century onwards are known from foreign sources, no records prior to the middle of the sixteenth century survive in Gozo. It is believed that the oldest records perished in 1551. In July of that year the island was ransacked by the Turks, the whole population was taken into slavery and official records were presumably stolen or burnt.
 
The earliest extant record in Gozo dates from 1560 and is preserved in the most important section of the Universitas: the registers Actorum et Negotiorum, acts and transactions of every sort and type. Other sections are the Bastardelle, notes and minutes of officials eventually worked out in full documents; Lettere, official correspondence; Bandi, public legal notices; Mandati, other notices and decrees; Suppliche, petitions presented to the Governor; Conti Originali, accounts of the administration of various offices; Contratti, official contracts; Debitori, money transactions; Mete, sales of a varied nature; Secretie, tax and land-rents accounts; Scisa, excise-duty assessments; and other miscellaneous documentation.
 
ZM • Miscellanea 1575+
This section is made up of miscellaneous registers and miscellaneous collections. Its second section is an important collection of original documents and copies of documents related to the French occupation of Gozo in 1798.  The third section is a collection of documents known as the Grima Papers – after their owner the lawyers Giuseppe Grima – retrieved from the Courts of Law, Gozo.